Ankara, July 24 () - Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu vowed on July 24 Turkey would continue operations against Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) jihadists and Kurdish militants after it bombed ISIL targets in Syria and made nearly 300 arrests.
“The operations that were started today are not a single event but a process,” Davutoğlu told reporters in Ankara.
The prime mnister said 297 people, including 37 foreigners, had been arrested in nationwide raids against suspected members of ISIL, Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) and other militant groups including the Revolutionary People’s Liberation Party–Front (DHKP-C).
Earlier, Turkish air force jets had launched their first strikes on ISIL positions in Syria, following a suicide bombing in Turkey by the group that claimed 32 lives.
“Whichever terrorist organization poses a threat to the borders of the Turkish Republic, measures will be taken without hesitation” said Davutoğlu. “No-one should have any doubt.
“We are observing activity in Syria and on the border at every moment. Turkey will show the strongest reaction to the slightest movement that threatens it.
“The operation against ISIL reached its target and will not stop” he added.
Davutoğlu meanwhile dismissed suggestions that the Turkish government had warned the Syrian regime of President Bashar al-Assad - which Ankara vehemently opposes - of the strikes.
He said there was “no question” of Turkey becoming a party in Syria’s civil war but insisted Ankara would take “all measures to protect its borders.”